Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Sunday, April 10, 2005

 

The eyes have it

Went into my corner shop for some biscuits a few weeks ago. Left the dog outside to wait for his customary treat for sitting still and being good. New manager recognises me as a regular and engages me in usual banter about weather, then looks me straight in the eyes and asks. “So what do you do for a living?”
“Oh, nothing you’d find interesting.” I told her flippantly, turning to leave.
“You a Policeman?”
“Er, no. What makes you think that?” I replied, a little nonplussed.
“You look like a copper.” She persisted.
“What?” Now I’m confused.
“You look at things. You pay attention. You’ve got that intense look about you.” She expanded.
“No, I’m not a Police officer.” Okay, so where was this going?
“Come on. You can tell me.” She persisted.
“You sure?” Oh all right.
“Yeah, I want to know.” More fool her.
“I’m a Traffic Warden.” I shrugged. There was the obligatory embarrassed pause. At length she says. “I think I’d rather be known as a Copper if I were you.”
“Yeah, right.” At this point I made my exit. That was getting a little too spooky for my liking.

Being an honest husband, I related this conversation to Mrs Sticker and youngest, who both confirmed that since I took this Traffic Warden job just over a year ago I have developed a certain expression around the eyes; 40% observance, 55% suspicion 5% Thousand-year gaze. Curses! How can I ever play poker and win again?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]