Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

 

Pancake day

Not a day I would have chosen to work outside, but you take the rough with the smooth in this life. New all-weather protective kit has finally been promised, but at the rate we get equipment issued it will arrive in three months time, just as the warm weather gets going and the sunblock comes out of cold storage. So for the moment I’m just going to have to layer up with very unsexy thermal underwear.

There’s been a few flakes of snow, but not enough to leave traces for more than a minute at a time. I suppose visitors from the Northern USA and Canada would be stripping down to their shirts and complaining about how damn hot it is. Everything is relative. For me it’s relatively too bloody cold to be stuck out in for four hours at a stretch.

All in all today’s been a bit of a mixed bag. I nicked a ‘friend’ of one of our localities leading Councillors parked in a bus stop. He complained like crazy, told me I didn’t know what I was doing, yaddada yaddada, he’d have my job and all the rest of the bullshit. He even told me he’d have the CCTV evidence to prove just how wrong I was. I just told the silly idiot to follow the challenge procedure if he thought I’d done it wrong and walked away. Feedback was pretty quick in forthcoming. Said dubious item of humanity had a go at; in turn, Kerry my line Manager, Senior Manager, Head of section, then his ‘friend’ on the Council. Later that afternoon Kerry rang me on my beat mobile and we both had a damned good guffaw about him. Apparently CCTV (One of our better operators) had the whole incident on tape and it completely backed up my version of events. That ticket is solid. It will stick. Heh, heh, heh.

Later in the day I paused to watch the local dignitaries doing photo opportunities at the yearly Pancake Day race.

Afterwards I tried to sidle off to one of my regular little bolt holes for a quick warm up, only to find out that the locks had been changed. When I phoned up to ask why, new Supervisor wouldn’t say. The word on the grapevine is that one of our less well motivated officers had been hanging around in there all day and had been caught doing so. The rest of us who only use it for ten minutes or so at a time feel somewhat aggrieved. More gossip at tea break returned the information that three other handy little places were now closed to us for the same reason. Now because of one idle bastard we all have to freeze.

The one thing that put a little gloss on an otherwise dull and unpleasant day happened as I’d just successfully cleared a congested street, just in time to hear ‘blues and two’s’ heading our way. Some miserable sod made a snide remark from behind me. “Don’t see why people do your stupid job.” Just then, the Ambulance crew I’d run into last week over that chap going hypoglycaemic raced past. The co-driver paramedic saw me and gave me the thumbs up. I gave the Ambulance a wave back. A Squad car raced after the Ambulance a few seconds later. Again I got a wave of recognition from the Police. I waved back. I turned round to look my protagonist of the moment in the eyes. “That’s what keeps me going.” I remarked, and left the silly bugger speechless. Serve him right.

To celebrate, have fed the whole family with pancakes and everyone in the Sticker household is replete. Happy pancake day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]