Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Tuesday, January 25, 2005

 

Why do I dislike Natasha Koplinski?

Funny what goes through your head when a member of the general dyslexic is going apeshit at you. Today's incident was when I'd just nicked a Jag, bang to rights, for parking on a no loading restriction on double yellows. Said Jag's owner, a real Arthur Daley type, hat, sheepskin jacket, the whole shooting match, was giving me a good verbal tongue lashing. He didn't notice my eyes glaze over with boredom as he went into his closing "I'll be reporting you to your superiors" remarks. As if they'd be worried. At the end of his tirade I treated him to one of my Mr Spock cocked eyebrow looks and world weary "Write to my office if you think I'm in the wrong sir." Upon which he stormed off, mouthing imprecations about my forbears that only my mother and father would know about. How did he know?

While said Jag owner was shouting the odds I recalled my own sour mood this morning having seen the BBC TV Breakfast News. BBC TV, yes. Breakfast, yes. News - not really. Is it just me or has the Beeb lost the plot? Where's the journalistic professionalism it once held the high ground on? All I saw and heard were politically loaded questions with no discernible purpose while the boy / girl team of Turnbull and Koplinski smarmed their way through a restricted news content.

Saccharine. That's the word I'm looking for. Sweetly false. The "We're nice people and anyone who doesn't agree with us is stupid / foolish / bad." attitude of the head boy and girl at school. All right, Ms Koplinski is very attractive but doesn't really have much news credibility as far as I am concerned. To be quite honest I'm thinking of listening to the Radio in the morning and would if it wasn't all so vacuous.

Is it just me or is British TV now almost completely shite? Soaps, Holiday, Makeovers seem to be the mainstay of the programmers. I haven't watched anything on ITV for months. BBC1 is mainly no mans land in our household. Channel 4 news is okay but is going downhill. Decent Dramas are the exception rather than the rule. New comedy shows don't make me laugh like the live stand ups at my local club do. Seems like mediocrity is the new standard. Even the BBC's web site has less real news on it than ever before.

Maybe it's time to ditch the TV.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nearly did ditch the TV a few months ago when the licence came up. I ditched the cable a while back. Rubbish service (down for 3 weeks) & I'd learnt all there is to know about sharks & Nazis. Too many cheap programs made by too many cheap people. BBC News is now so heavily biased that I can't trust it. I prefer to get my news from a mixture of Web sites.

Tuesday, January 25, 2005 6:35:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's not just you, TV is mostly shite. I got rid of it 3 years ago, haven't missed it; will watch the odd thing when round at other houses. Not worth the money.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:10:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i go through periods of feeling like this. Then by good luck I spot a number of decent programs in the schedules, watch them and think again. There are plenty of worthwhile programs, hidden amoungst the dross, but it can take dedication to track them down. I have to agree that news reporting seems to have taken a turn for the worst though.

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 2:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

TV is vacuous. I am grateful to TV Licensing for not being able to collect the licence fee and revoking my licence. It prompted me to realise there is no content on TV. I got rid of that piece of kit. I file the numerous letters from TV Licensing in the paper recycling box, well done city council. The letters help to pay the post-woman’s wages!

Wednesday, January 26, 2005 10:10:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]