Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Saturday, September 30, 2006

 

Cutting the mustard

Well I proved to myself I can still do it. My three user home network stripped down and reconfigured for wireless in just over six working hours (And cooking a full meal for four at the same time). This includes conversion of Windows 2000 server from domain controller to file server. Reconfig of three laptops and one desktop (One XP laptop, two 2000 laptops and a 2000 desktop). Firewalls, service packs, anti virus the works. DHCP, DNS, all the business. All data was successfully restored from backup whilst busy sipping from a large bottle of Tiger Lager.

Not that I’m telling the kids, they’ve been extremely poorly behaved today and they can bloody well wait for their new wireless Internet access. Me and Mrs Sticker just ain’t a-gonna tell them it’s all ready to rock. Evil snigger.

4 Comments:

Blogger AF said...

I'm intrigued by your background and knowledge. But I do understand how circumstances lead you to make less than desired choices.

Did you work in IT at some stage or is it just a hobby?

I wired up a wireless network on with 1 XP and 1 2000 pc a while ago, took me 2 long evenings. It just didn't seem to take the settings, but when I ran a diagnostic downloaded from the website, it worked on the second run.

Wireless is great but it can be a real pain to setup.

Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:09:00 pm  
Blogger Rhea said...

Ahh but you forgot to mention the endless re-booting required by windows, the hunt for drivers, the swearing when you realise that you have forgotten the router's access password, the interminable security updates and patches ... ;o)

Sunday, October 01, 2006 5:38:00 pm  
Blogger Bill Sticker said...

Rhea,

I hate to sound smug, but I just didn't have those problems. I made a note of the passthrough phrases and passwords which are carefully locked away after use and used the Linksys, Dell, Compaq, and Acer sites for my driver downloads.

The worst part was getting all dusty and mucky taking down the old network wiring.

Regards

Bill

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And it took you six hours? No wonder you're putting tickets on cars for a living ;-)

Sunday, October 01, 2006 9:11:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]