Being a cautious soul….
Notwithstanding, just to be on the safe side, I asked a friend of mine to act as a delivery go between in case this turned out to be an ‘out the blogger’ exercise. He’s done this sort of thing for me in the past so I gave the Producer his address to deliver some recording kit to and waited for his phone call so I could drive over one evening and pick it up. Nothing happened for over a week. I sat and wondered. My friend got nervous and communicated his misgivings in no uncertain terms last night when I phoned him.
You can call me paranoid if you like, but I wouldn’t be so cagey if people weren’t often out to get me. In the line of duty I’ve had cars driven at me and had too many telling offs from Management not to be ultra cautious. Dave Copperfield almost got ‘outed’ by not being circumspect enough, so I’m trying to profit by his example. Locally my neighbours know what I do and are pretty much okay with it, but I don’t want to import any trouble if you know what I mean.
I got another phone call Tuesday afternoon (1st August) from a person claiming to be a freelancer for the same production company. I gave said person my E-mail address whereupon they told me they would have a look at my blog before e-mailing me with times and dates that evening. Up until tonights posting, no e-mail. This makes me very nervous, and I am not doing this on the fly like some ransom payee flitting from phone box to phone box. I’m not going to traipse fifty or seventy miles out of my way for free at the proverbial five minutes notice.
Now I’ve no reason to disbelieve anyone you understand, but right now I simply cannot afford the risk of being ‘outed’. As I have previously posted, the Sticker family are struggling to keep their financial heads above water and any sudden loss of income because someone blew the gaff re my real identity might prove catastrophic, so you can understand my caution. I did tentatively agree to turn up at a yet to be specified place and time to record the podcasts, but it’s become all a bit too last minute for my tastes. I like to know who and what I am dealing with and no one has as yet convinced me of their bona fides. Voices on the phone and one e-mail notwithstanding.
If the members of the production company in question are on the level and reading this; my apologies. I’m backing out. There is no percentage for me in this deal. I feel there is very little (if anything) to be gained and a hell of a lot for me to lose right now.
There will be no podcasts of this blog. I should not have agreed in the first place.