Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Sunday, September 16, 2007

 

Blogless

I’ve been finding it difficult to write of late. It’s not just that I’ve lost the urge. That’s been as strong as ever. It’s more to do with being overwhelmed by everything in Canada, and not much opportunity to write on the old laptop due to lack of battery power. Never mind the fact that reliable wireless Internet connections have proved far and few between, so no blogging.

In less than two weeks we’ve crossed Canada from Vancouver to Halifax, about 8000 Kilometres, or 5000 miles by my reckoning. I’m sure others have done it faster, slower, longer, or by cycling, walking, running or Golf Cart, but that’s what we elected to do.

There is so much stuff from the journey rolling around in my overcrowded head that I’m going to have to prize it out with jackhammers and a JCB. This may take some time.

Notwithstanding; Mrs S and I recently looked at our budget, after travelling from Vancouver to Cape Breton and many points between, looked at the weather and the quality of Motels we’ve stayed in (I’ll write a list of some pretty unhappy stops if anyone wants to know where to avoid on the Great Plains, specifically Medicine Hat and Moose Jaw), and by the time we got to Moose Jaw decided that we were paying a lot for not much and decided to go camping the rest of the way.

Since making that decision I’ve been used as table de hôte by every sodding biting insect within a five kilometre radius and developed a pathological hatred of Mosquitoes. The Quebec Mossies were the most aggressive, and got worryingly close to my important little places despite several layers of heavy duty insect repellent. Several days running I woke up looking at each new crop of little itchy lumps wondering “How the hell did he get up there?”

Now I’m out and pitching in the workplace, seeking a job over in the west side of Vancouver that isn’t to do with the fast food or retail sector. The car is holding up well, and the Mosquito bite marks and prickly heat are healing. I’ve got to the stage where Karma be damned – those little suckers are going to die. My attempts to reach the status of Bodhisattva are going to have to wait. Pass me the RAID, Buddha.

Blog entries are going to be backdated, and I promise whoever reads my rabid drivel that the quality and quantities of entries will improve.

Regards

Bill

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You need to get a repellent with lots of DEET. Some have only 5% and don't do much -- try Muskol, which has 95% DEET and is very effective.

Vancouver, especially the west side, is one of the most expensive places in Canada to live. (One of the nicest, too, which is why it is so expensive.) Lots of people move there to live, and look for work after they're there, so competition will be stiff.

What type of work are you after? You seem like a jack-of-all-trades, but I daresay there's a type of job you'd rather do.

Sunday, September 16, 2007 8:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First you, then DC, grief I'm going to feel lonely soon. I keep checking back to see how you are getting on. Good luck on the job hunt.

Monday, September 17, 2007 6:50:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck on the job front and it's good to have you back!

Monday, September 17, 2007 8:39:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We arrived in the Pacific North West almost 35 years ago as a result of a job transfer and have loved it ever since.A word of caution if I might,wait till the rains end before making a final decision about staying.
Glad to have you back,please try to keep up the Blog.I find it a refreshing change from the usual drival.

Wednesday, September 19, 2007 7:32:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]