Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Sunday, July 29, 2007

 

A little stressed out

The past few days have been highly stressful. Although I believe the received wisdom is that moving home is one of the most stressful things you can do short of lose a close family member. How in the name of the Gods did we accumulate so much junk? I swear I'm almost vibrating with the nervous tension. Considering I used to do what is considered a high stress occupation, this is not funny at all. This is despite the kids moving out and going to live with their dad for a year or two and a comparative calm enfolding the general day to day domestics. The sensation of 'we're not coming back here again' is somewhat disconcerting to say the least.

Tell you the truth I'm glad to be getting out of soggy old England for a while. All this rain and the greyness of it all is getting really depressing.

Mrs S, the dog and I are taking ourselves out of the country on a long leave of absence to Canada on Tuesday. Flight AC897 from Heathrow is booked to waft us westwards to the far flung forests of British Columbia. I intend to spend my time travelling, writing, hunting, fishing and cooking. I'll blog when I can and let God take care of the rest.

We're having a farewell lunch with my Mother today, and I'm expecting the usual interrogation from my Brother who seems to want to find reasons for us not to go. I'm trying to be diplomatic around him, but his incessant "Have you done this?" and "Well what about that?" is really getting on my nerves because the answer is "Yes we have thought of this, and we've signed the paperwork on that. Give me a break will you?" It winds me up tighter than a spring. I love my close family, but sometimes they can be such a trial. This goes for Mother in Law who keeps calling when Mrs S and I are settling down for some quality time together.

Also today is a little throwing out party where we're trying to give away a lot of the household stuff we're not taking with us. We've laid on a mini barbeque and some booze for the neighbours this afternoon. All the good stuff we're giving away will be on a table and we're hoping for the best. Failing that the rest will all go when the house is cleared.

Just over fifty five hours left until take off. God speed the hours.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Being the street bloke I imagine you are given your years on patrol, here's a piece of advice:
You'll be flying into Vancouver right? I've been there - it's a great city. However, I would recommend you avoid the area of West/East Hastings Street. This is where the more 'dubious' members of the Vancouver community reside, if you know what I mean.
Other than that, enjoy it. And if you can get up to Whistler you'll have some great times there too.

L.O. Yal-Reader

Sunday, July 29, 2007 8:09:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Been reading your blog for a long time & I'd like to wish you and yours the best for the future. Sounds like you need a break from the UK - something I did myself years ago. Still haven't returned except family visits a few times a year. Enjoy Canada - it's supposed to be wonderful.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 10:50:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good luck and Bon Voyage!

Sunday, July 29, 2007 3:32:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

All the best to you and yours Bill.


Gonorr.

Sunday, July 29, 2007 5:00:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Your going to BC for sunny weather !!?
God! Is England under a constant cold monsoon?

Monday, July 30, 2007 12:36:00 am  
Blogger Bill Sticker said...

John,

Haven't you been watching the news? It's been so wet our local council is considering renaming one residential area 'the Lakes'. Besides, I took rather a perverse liking to Canadian rain last time I was in Ontario.

If we don't like it, we'll just move on to Alberta and Manitoba.

Regards

Bill

Monday, July 30, 2007 2:10:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Best of luck to both of you (and the dog!) Bill. I hope you'll keep us all informed via the blog. Take care!

Monday, July 30, 2007 8:55:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

God bless and good luck

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 1:27:00 am  
Blogger Plymothian said...

Received the book yesterday Bill and have nearly finished it!

Good luck and best wishes.

Thursday, August 02, 2007 6:36:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]