Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Friday, February 23, 2007

 

Much cheapness

It never ceases to amaze me how cheap some people can be. How much will fifty pence (50% of a pound sterling) buy you nowadays? Not a hell of a lot. Maybe a chocolate bar and a bit. A pint or two of milk. Less than that in some emporia.

My question comes from the two rather flash looking motors I booked today without pay and display tickets. Let’s look at the sums; you buy a car priced at £30-50,000, then don’t bother with a measly 50p pay and display ticket. Do they really want a Parking ticket? Is it some act of bravado against ‘the system’? Is it perchance one of those one up-manship things where they deliberately want to get penalised so they have something to complain about at posh dinner parties?

“It was frightful my dear, that nasty parking warden put one of his awful tickets on my car.”
“How utterly beastly for you darling.”
“How dare he, I mean, couldn’t he see it was a Range Rover Vogue? Horrid little man. Just because I wouldn’t buy one of those ugly display ticket thingies.”
“Yes, all Traffic Wardens should all be hanged from the nearest lamppost. Vultures, that’s all they are, vultures.”
“Just another one of Gordon Browns ghastly stealth taxes.”
“It’s disgusting. We shouldn’t have to pay for parking. After all, we do pay our council tax.”
“Only when our accountants can’t write it off on a technicality darling.”


And so on, etc. I’ve actually had some plummy voiced persons stand there (Post parking ticket) and argue vehemently that because they are a taxpayer (When their accountants can’t wangle it as a tax dodge); they (and only they) should have free car parking. I couldn’t agree less; even if their permit was a residents pass from one of the posher London suburbs, so what? It wasn’t valid in my car park.

In the face of such blatant provocation I just stood there with a politely ironic cocked eyebrow and tried hard not to let my traitorous mouth vouchsafe “What an unmitigated twat you are” at them. It’s bad enough having to deal with all the low-life’s trying to piss around with the regulations I’m paid to enforce, but when it’s someone who takes the ‘moral high ground’ when they are so obviously in the wrong – my sympathy quotient bottoms out. Fifty lousy pence. How cheap can you get?

Not only that, it’s the double standard that annoys the bejasus out of me. Don’t do as I do, do as I say. Punish him, not me, officer. It’s like I’m being treated as their personal servant. As if I were not a human being.

As I have often made clear; I do not care about conspicuous wealth, or lack of it. My business is impartial enforcement. Yet sometimes there is quiet satisfaction when I make an entrance to a car park and all I can hear is the grumble of guilty engines starting.

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Oh well Bill, We do love to hate you parking wardens. Take it all in good faith. LOL!!

Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:05:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

When they see that nice ticket, then they know the old tin can will moan about how he can not afford as his Havanas have just gone up.

Saturday, February 24, 2007 9:45:00 pm  
Blogger DiscoveredJoys said...

Bill, babe,

I reckon its not 'being cheap' that makes posh car owners not buy a parking ticket. I reckon its because they think they are above the 'little people' and rules don't apply to them.

It gets right on my tits when I see a posh car with a personalised number plate which has been further buggered about with incorrectly coloured screw tops to spell out a name. I have even seen plates with numerals rotated 90 degress ( so 3 = m ). If I was a traffic cop (fewer cops now, more cameras) my day would not be complete without 'stickering' one of these!

I don't want a pesonalised number plate myself, I have no envy of people that have them. I just detest people who choose to break the law for the sake of their vanity.

I'll go and lie down for a few minutes...

Monday, February 26, 2007 2:49:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]