Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Monday, February 26, 2007

 

Counter culture

This is a concept I’ve been trying to put into some coherent form of words for some time now. Trying to quantify what is actually the matter with things, why people are so dag-blasted unhappy all the time (Including me). Recently, what with one thing and another, I’ve had the time to think about such matters while walking the streets of my hometown.

Taking a leaf out of the inestimable Mrs Sticker’s book, I compiled a list of ‘Unhappiness factors’

1 Dissatisfaction (With life, looks, job etc.)
2 Depression, Reactive (Linked to loss)

Okay, as the old cliché goes, how can I make my life better? Count my blessings? Nah. Thank goodness I’m still breathing / not a starving person in Africa? Nope. None of that. How about the following;

Get better job / start up my own business. Not a bad idea, but then that raises the issue of how to avoid the ministrations of the ‘bean counters’ who can’t rest until they have a numerical value for everything and take the long way around getting the figures?

I could of course apply to be a PCSO. Nice idea, not much weekend working, and not so many late nights. No justifying every single waking moment of your day via a hand held computer. No having to log everything including the tweely named ‘comfort breaks’. All that and much better money. They’re actually recruiting in my area.

Unfortunately I’ve just had a look at who may and may not be a PCSO, and I can’t (Old financial problem, don’t want to discuss it). So there goes that idea down the toilet. Bugger. Back to the keyboard then.

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger DiscoveredJoys said...

Bill, babe,

me again. Might I recommend "Finding your own North Star - How to claim the life you were meant to live" by Martha Beck? Price £7.99, cheaper at Amazon but you have to pay postage.

Although its written by an American it is not high pressure shouting and jumping up and down. Its in two parts - working out what your destiny (goal or North Star) really is, and then the last third is all about the change cycle and how to navigate through it.

Of course you could always wait until I've written my book... but since I'm still in the research phase you may have to wait some time!

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:37:00 pm  
Blogger Bill Sticker said...

Discoveredjoys,

Until I complete my trilogy and the book I have entered in a national competition. I know what I want to do, but it's getting someone to pay me that's the problem. Until that day I'm stuck where I am for the. Such is life.

Regards

Bill

Monday, February 26, 2007 10:58:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

PCSO? What stands PCSO for?

So I went to google... Ok, obviously not the Philippine Charity Sweepstakes Office.

Lets take the www.metpolicecareers.co.uk link http://www.metpolicecareers.co.uk/default.asp?action=article&ID=31

Fine. I love to work with those beautiful woman. I meet the age restrictions, sadly not the resided-three-years-thingy. But my english is fair and I have no crime record.

Would they consider selecting my work location preferences by food? I would prefere chinese, india and such. Spicy is OK for me.

But I still don't know what PCSO stands for and they don't tell me... Did I miss something?

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 10:34:00 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you need to dig but I found it as Police Community Support Officer. Now why would the Police Community need a support officer? And is that one officer per community of police? ;-)

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 12:31:00 pm  
Blogger Bill Sticker said...

Oh dear, oh dear, oh dear. They work for the Police in the Community as Support Officers. They don't work weekends very often, they get paid heaps more than I do, and don't really nick anyone because that's the job of the real Police.

Very risible. Happy now?

Regards

Bill

Tuesday, February 27, 2007 6:33:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just amusing myself watching a DVD of The Fast Show and I suddenly had this vision of our Bill Sticker retiring ahaving been 'frustrated' in all things in life like the old man paul Whitehouse plays...just constructed a new greenhouse ...the kids next door will kick their ball over and break the glass...sure enough the ball comes over the fence but shick amazement doesn't hit the greenhouse. Kids ask for the ball back and old man thows it and breaks the glass himself. Bugger! Well ain't that just like life.
(Years ago this used to be called a self fulfilling prophesy, we are now to call it The Law of Attraction. You are to 'visualise' winning the prize, holding the cheque, flying the plane....what ever it is you want to get out of your success etc etc.)
So, I have a vision of an old mate of mine, looks a little like the Dad in the Incredibles appearing on the TV News beaming with happiness and joy talking about his mega-successful writing career.

Bina

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 11:14:00 am  
Blogger Bill said...

Be honest with yourself. Is your state of unhappiness (let alone anybody elses) due to lack of money?

Are you and your family healthy?
Is your home safe (i.e. mortgage repayments, household bills etc.)?

If the answer to these two questions is yes,

Then, job satisfaction, you are clearly an intelligent person. Are you in the right job? What job would you rather be in? What's the real difference between PCSO and "traffic warden"? I mean no disrespect to those trades, but why set your sight low? You obviously like dealing with people what other career options are open to you? The Open University used to have computer program that you would key in a whole load of information abou yourself, and it would then spit out a list of jobs that you could do. What about something like that? You obviously want to be a writer (you are one, you're just not making much money off it at the moment) but you need a job to keep you going in the meantime - If this is the right one, stick with it. If not, change. Easier said than done, but explore opotions. All the best to you Bill. Thank you for your blog.

Wednesday, February 28, 2007 8:19:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]