Get a copy of "In stitches - the highs and lows of an A&E Doctor"

PC EE Bloggs - Diary of an on-call girl

Sunday, October 15, 2006

 

Doing the right thing

One of the things you don’t hear much about, along the lines of Hunter S Thompson’s famous quotation from his book Hells Angels “When we do good, no-one remembers, when we do bad, no-one forgets.” So it is with us Parking Enforcers.

This evening I would like to set the record straight with an example of a Parking Enforcer who has quite literally stood up and done the right thing. His name is Pes Fa'aui of Waitakere New Zealand, winner of a bravery award for successfully tackling a knife wielding maniac in the streets of a town called Henderson, New Zealand. Read his story here and more on the mans previous exploits here. Many thanks to Amanda and Dodderyoldfart for the links.

Now I doubt whether any of us mere mortals on this side of the antipodes will ever get wrapped up in something like that, although a Parking Enforcer was there when bits of suicide bomber ended up all over him on 7th July 2005 (7/7). In Britain, Parking Attendants get beaten up (Most incidents never reach the newspapers, at least ours don’t) banned, abused and assaulted, and guess what? Certain elements of the public and media think this is a good thing. Take this comment for example.

Anonymous said...
I hate traffic wardens....
Die Die Die
If I saw you crossing the road I would not even think about slowing down.
I hope you catch aids and your family disown you.
Monday, September 11, 2006 1:51:24 PM

Please note that the writer of this comment chose to remain anonymous when he / she exposed the breadth and maturity of their intellect to the world.

As for me; while I do this job I just hope I’m doing it with the right motivation which is to keep the parking spaces cycling through so everyone gets an chance at them, hopefully helping to keep the streets flowing smooth and clear. One of these days I’ll manage it; one of these days.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Much as I hate to admit that the traffic warden is a necessaary evil, its not always a welcome sight seeing those envelopes on our windshields especially after or during a hard day. Money we would rather spend on some other need or essential going down the drain.

As a human being, I'm not condoning the assaults, bans, abuse et al but if the public notice a reluctance on the part of the traffic warden in issuing tickets, then our attitude towards you guys would improve tremendously.

I think ur blog rocks though!! I enjoy logging on each day to read about your travails!! (smile)

Monday, October 16, 2006 7:42:00 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

My Photo
Name:
Location: Ireland

Exasperated expatriate expostulations from Ireland.

Subscribe to Walking the Streets

Feedburner

E-mail address : billsticker at gmail dot com

pcpin.gif


The Real Politically Incorrect Net Ring

This net ring exposes political correctness for the fraud that it is and advocates universal values of individual freedom, free speech, and equal rights for all.

homerq.gif

[Prev Site] [Stats] [Random] [Next 5 Sites] [List Sites] [Next Site]